The History of Newton Cricket Club
The club was established in 1912 and played at Clarendon Road, Hyde, before in 1934, the club moved to its present
home at Mount Pleasant in Godley, Hyde.
A number of pavilions have been erected at this site, the latest one being started in 1985 and officially opened in 1991 by Mrs Janet Howarth wife of the former Chairman and long-serving player, Mr Eric Howarth.Newton C.C has competed in a number of local cricket leagues since their inception.These include: –
Stockport & District,
Hyde & District,
Glossop & District (1953-1957),
High Peak League (1958-1974),
Glossop & District (1975-1999)
before joining the Derbyshire & Cheshire (2000).
The club’s most successful period has been the 1990’s as Members of the Glossop & District League, having won 5 first division championships, 2 first division cups, 5 second division championships, 4 second division cups and the Aggregate trophy for 7 years in succession